Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mcsflavor

Schedule CA: 5-Fed SS benefits amt must be entered.

Turbotax will not allow me to complete line 5 / A. I cannot enter the amount and fix the error. I cannot file my taxes! Please help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies

I'm having this same frustrating issue.  Intuit/TurboTax, please fix this IMMEDIATELY!

Mr Salty

I'm having the same issue.  TT is getting more and more difficult to use each year.  It is incredibly frustrating to me that I can't file my return because I can't enter a 0 in a **bleep** box.

Here is my solution...no one from TT ever replied here or in FB or anywhere. 

Delete the superfluous “0.” in the column before column A. There is a checkbox you can select somewhere that says something like ”don’t include this worksheet in the schedule”. Make sure it’s checked. Then the highlighted pink/grey cell in 5A goes away. 

that solves the problem. Go thru the verifications again and you’ll be ready to file. I submitted last night after midnight and my return was accepted an hour later. 

hope that helps! (So ridiculous that the program even put the “0.” in that column in the first place, which, via poor coding, thinks that any value on Line 5—even a 0—then necessitates a value in column A, which you’re locked out of entering. This could be easily fixed by the program not having inserted the “0.” on that line of the schedule.)

jpl2

Thank you! Deleted the 0 and it went trough!

mjsj
Returning Member

Hi,   

Yeah al you need to do is delete the zero in the previous box. Then  it will let you submit the form.

mgttsu

You are a LIFESAVER!! Thank you, I was about to tear my hair out.

I am having the same issue.  Turbo Tax is demanding I make an entry on Schedule CA line 5, but it won’t allow me to type anything in the box.  It is preventing me from filing my CA tax return.

Thanks Calif!  It worked!

That worked great, just blank the zero on the same line.  Definitely a bug though as I specifically told the program in the Federal section I had NO social security income.  But thank you so much, I filed!

rgp_is

I may see the problem differently or missing something obvious but I don't have a redundant 0 entered on line 5 preceding column A.

TT has entered my SS income at that position on line 5 preceding Column A because it must be reported, even if it's not taxed. I can't move forward because an amount must (technically ... legally) be inserted into column A, B and C.

There appears to be a fundamental program failure in the release with regard to CA Form 540 California adjustments, Part 1, Section A . Particularly with regard to a filled out 1099-R form provided from the Federal tax calculations.

The workaround "removing a superfluous zero does't apply when an amount that must be reported has been inserted retroactively from the Federal calculations, and doesn't help my situation.

Any ideas? Or do I simply need a diagram to figure it out?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

There is currently a snag in the social security section. Please bear with us.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
watmagoo

thank you you saved me from throwing my lap top

I couldn't find what he is talking about, delete what 0 in what form and where is the check mark? 

I did check form 1040 and form CA 540 and don't see any zeros and check boxes not to include any forms. Weird!!!

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Are reporting Social Security Benefits into your return this year? if not, there may be a form in your return that is looking for answers. To check go to:

1. Federal>income and expenses>retirement income>Retirement Plans and Social Security>show more
  2. Go to Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099)
  3. Click on start or revisit
  4. if there is a form, select edit and either delete it or complete the form
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies