Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sch IN-W: Col D State Income must be entered

After filling out the Indiana state portion and during the error checking I encountered the "Sch IN-W Col D State Income must be entered" error message and an input field titled "Col-D State Income".  I have 4 1099-R's. I correctly entered all available 1099-R information during the federal portion. I decided to try to print the tax form regardless of the error and found the IN-W form with 4 entries and corresponding State Tax Withheld numbers.  Only one of the entries had the proper Column D State Income amounts entered.  In addition none of the column C "Employer or Payer ID Number" data matched any of the payer's TIN I entered.  From the one entry with the correct state income amount, I determined that the 1099-R box 2a values should be used for Col D.  I went back and ran the review and got the prompt again.  The prompt did not identify which 1099-R   the input field would be matched to.  I entered one value and got the prompt again.  I did not know if the value was accepted or not via some kind of acknowledging message, so I entered the same amount again hoping it would be accepted.  I stopped and printed the forms again to double check and discovered the amount entered was used correctly in one 1099-R row and also incorrectly in another.  So here are my questions and/or solutions.

1. It seems that Turbotax should have copied the state taxable amounts for each of the 1099's and not just only one.  This would obviate the need for #2 below.

2. The prompt to enter the value should include clues as to which 1099-R it referred.  Perhaps include the recipient name, payer name, and state tax withheld.

3. Once the value is entered, there should be a message indicating what 1099-R was changed.

4. Why is the Payer's TIN different from what I entered?  Shouldn't they match?

5. How can I correct the Col D amount, if entered incorrectly?

I consider all of this issue a result of Turbotax bugs.  Another possibility is that my case is a simple one and for other users it isn't as straight forward.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Sch IN-W: Col D State Income must be entered

Two more questions I forgot to ask:

1. Would the desktop Premiere version allow me to change the IN-W Col D values?  Certainly the Deluxe version does not.

2. Is there a way to open up a bug ticket with Intuit or will my issue in community be considered by them?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies