Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SG07
Level 2

RSU Tax for Previous State

Hi all. Every year my company awards us a handful of RSUs (restricted stock) that vests every three years, with a third vesting each anniversary date. My first RSUs were awarded while I worked in Rhode Island. I moved to Tennessee ~2 years ago, which has no state income tax. Some of the RSUs that I was *awarded* while living in Rhode Island *vested* after moving to Tennessee, and on my W2 it has me paying ~$34 in Rhode Island state tax. Apparently the tax owed is based on the state it was awarded in, not vested in. Do I really need to file a state return to Rhode Island just for that amount? I asked a CPA who said I shouldn’t need to because that amount is so minimal it would likely fall under Rhode Island’s income exemption amount, but just looking to confirm. Don’t want to get in trouble for not submitting a state return, considering I’ll likely be in the same situation next year when my final RSUs vest that were awarded while I lived in Rhode Island. Thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Technically, from this excerpt from the Rhode Island Division of Taxation, you are required to file a Rhode Island tax return if you are required to file a federal tax return:  

Here is a link to the article:  Rhode Island tax filing requirements  As a practical matter, since you had taxes withheld and assuming they were sufficient to cover your tax obligation, it's not likely you would suffer serious repercussions if you didn't file the Rhode Island return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Technically, from this excerpt from the Rhode Island Division of Taxation, you are required to file a Rhode Island tax return if you are required to file a federal tax return:  

Here is a link to the article:  Rhode Island tax filing requirements  As a practical matter, since you had taxes withheld and assuming they were sufficient to cover your tax obligation, it's not likely you would suffer serious repercussions if you didn't file the Rhode Island return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies