Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RI Par-Year Residient Calculations

My daughter did not work in RI in 2020.  She changed her residency to another state in June 2020.  When I followed the easy step instructions, TurboTax for the state of RI did not ask about wages earned out-of-state while a RI resident.  I checked RI Schedule III Part-Year Tax Calculation form and found that there was no wages income in the column (Column B) for income from RI resident time.  I needed to manually enter the salaries in the RI Schedule III; then, I needed to override amounts in Part 2 of RI Schedule III to calculate the correct tax liability.  If I had not checked Schedule III, the part-year tax liability would have been calculated incorrectly.  Has anybody else reported similar problems.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

If your daughter moved out of Rhode Island in 2020, and did not earn income while she lived there, she does not have to file a Rhode Island tax return.  What is the income you are trying to enter in her Rhode Island return?

She should file a Part-Year Resident State Return for the state she moved to (if she had income there).  

Click this link for more info on How to File a Part Year Resident Return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Sorry, you did not answer my question.  I believe TurboTax incorrectly calculated my daughter's tax liability in RI.  She had income while she lived in RI from another state.  She needed to file a part year residence RI Tax return.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

No, a part-year resident files the nonresident form. See State of Rhode Island: Division of Taxation: Personal Income. The nonresident form instructions state:

A nonresident is subject to tax on all items included in his or her total federal income (including his or her distributive share of partnership income or gain and his or her share of estate or trust income or gain) which are derived from or connected with Rhode Island sources as follows:...

Therefore, if your daughter had no Rhode Island sourced income, a RI return would not be needed. When you went through the program, it asked about residency. When part year, the program asks about RI sourced income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies