Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kbtoni

Resident NJ, Non-resident NY. Work in both states.What is placed on line 4 of IT-203 Taxable refunds, credits or offsets of state and local income taxes?

Is it refunds recieved from previous year for each state?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Resident NJ, Non-resident NY. Work in both states.What is placed on line 4 of IT-203 Taxable refunds, credits or offsets of state and local income taxes?

Line 4 would be your taxable refunds, credits, or offsets as per your 1040 under the federal column on the left. The NY column on the right would be your New York refund. Your New Jersey refund is not entered in this column. See the IT-203 instructions for more detail. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Kbtoni

Thank you!

Let me see if I understand exactly how to input the correct data. On the L side (Federal Amount) of the IT 203, Where do I find my taxable refunds, credits or offsets on the 1040 form?

And, on the R side column, (NY State) Do I input the amount of NY state refund check received from the previous year?

I appreciate the help!

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

If you got a tax benefit from deducting your state taxes in the previous year by itemizing your deductions, then this would be taxable on 1040, Schedule 1, Line 1. None of your refund is taxable if, in the year you paid the tax, you either (a) didn't itemize deductions, or (b) elected to deduct state and local general sales taxes instead of state and local income taxes.

In the NY column, enter that part of the federal amount that was derived from or connected with New York State sources as a nonresident. Also enter this amount on line 24, New York State amount column.

@Kbtoni 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies