Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

OUTexan

Residency

My wife and I own a home in Texas.  She works in the DFW area  and I will retire in September. Our daughter is attending OU and we have considered buying a second home in Norman rather than paying rent for the next 3-4 years.  Since we are not generating income in OK, will we have to file a non-resident tax return for OK.  We both will spend some weekends in Norman with our daughter but will not reside permantly.  I checked the OK Tax website and there does not seems to be a clearcut answer on this.  Auy assistance is greatly appreciated. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Residency

@OUTexan your primary residence is TX and all your income is generated in TX.  

You are not generating any income in OK, so there is no filing requirement in OK.  (if you bought the property in OK and rented it out, then it would be a different story).

OUTexan

Residency

I also read to not homestead the OK property  since it might trigger OK revenue dept to want me to file taxes. Any truth to that?

Residency

@OUTexan please provide the source of that from a reputable website.  

here is the OK state tax filing requirement from a reputable website: 

https://www.hrblock.com/tax-center/filing/states/oklahoma-state-tax/

"Non-residents are required to file a state income tax return when they receive gross income of at least $1,000 of Oklahoma source income"

Residency

@OUTexan wrote:

I also read to not homestead the OK property  since it might trigger OK revenue dept to want me to file taxes. Any truth to that?

Almost anything you do could with an OK address could trigger a letter of inquiry, but you can answer that with a letter of explanation of your own.  You will only have Oklahoma-sourced income if you perform the work while physically living in OK.  (That could mean, for example, that if you work from home every Friday, up to 1/5 of your income could be taxable in OK.)  You just need to document things carefully. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies