Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Residency qualification for tax purposes

My income comes from Virginia and I have lived and have been paying taxes there for many years.  Recently I have moved my things into storage and have become a "nomad" still spending some time in Virginia but also many months outside the country. I continue to pay tax in Virginia even though I'm there just for a few months a year. All of my "connections" are still in Virginia - friends, mailbox, drivers license, insurance, etc. 

I am thinking about spending more time in New York with family, but don't want to become a tax resident of New York. I understand that NY tax residency is complicated with different tests. 

Given the following:

- no income/business from NY

- no minor children

- I may rent in New York (which would be my only residence), but definitely stay less than 183 days a year

- I will be in Virginia for several months during the year and abroad the rest of the time

Should I worry about being a NY tax resident? I would think not, except for the fact that I have no other residence except for the one I potentially rent in NY.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

No, you are a resident of VA, give the facts. If you have no income from NY and stay with your family for less than 183 days, you should be okay. This FAQ bulletin from NY state spells it out very clearly.

Generally, you are considered a New York State resident for income tax purposes if you are domiciled in the state. For most people this is straightforward: the primary residence where you live is both your state of domicile and the state in which you are a resident for tax purposes. However, you can still be considered a resident of New York State for income tax purposes even if you are not domiciled in the state. (See below, “Can I be a resident of New York State if my domicile is elsewhere?”)

NY Resident

Thank you for the response. I was just concerned because I would have no other residence in any other state. I assume since I have never filed in NY and have no income from NY then I'm mostly unseen anyway except for renting.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

You are fine for 2021, your status can change depending on your circumstances but that remains to be seen in 2022 or beyond. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Sorry, can you elaborate what you mean by "your circumstances"? Is that just a general statement if some of my current items I listed (e.g., no NY income) changes and therefore I may become a NY tax resident or were you referring to changing tax code or something else?

TomD8
Level 15

@oscar03632 --

Here are the federal regulations regarding residency:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/26/301.6362-6

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies