Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Request for Information from Maine

I live in Maine, work in Massachusetts, and moved here from Vermont in July - (so filed 1/2 year resident in VT, 1/2 year resident in ME, MA non resident returns).

The State of Maine just sent a Request for Information because apparently my e-file did not send the MA return so they could verify the tax credit for tax paid to MA.

I will mail the copy of the returns to ME but want to ensure that Turbo Tax is aware of this issue because apparently all returns were not sent to all States? If they were sent, it would alleviate this headache!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Request for Information from Maine

This is a normal action.  State returns are not sent with each other, there may be some kind of indicator that another state return was e-filed in addition to the information on your return.  Occasionally, a state may ask for a copy of the other state return to verify that you did, in fact, file a return with another state, and that the credit is allowed.

The credit for tax paid to another state on the same income will be the lesser of:

1. the tax liability actually charged by the nonresident state, OR
  2. the tax liability that would have been charged by your resident state

It is a hassle, but will be worth it in the end. Be sure to sign the return that you mail to them even though it's a copy.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies