turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

riyapedm

Rental Income and LLC

Hi, I need to find out can we form LLC to manage rental properties outside USA? Can same LLC handle management aspects of K1 partnerships income from another state?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Rental Income and LLC

@riyapedm , in general, an LLC , formed under US laws ( State), whether partnership or sole proprietorship or behaving as C-corp.,   can do business anywhere. However, the LLC protection is valid only within the jurisdiction of relevant authorities ( usually the  state and sometimes by agreement with another state / states.  Thus  the LLC protection is  not valid - generally, absent treaty considerations ,  in another country.  So if the reason you are forming an LLC is to limit your liabilities , then you should  consideration forming an entity in that country  ( which ? ).

I am not a lawyer --- just my understanding of the LLC regime.

You definitely should consider discussing your situation with a US lawyer as also a lawyer in the country.

Hope this helps 

riyapedm

Rental Income and LLC

From legal perspective I can get it clarification from lawyers but for tax purposes, can I form LLC in california to manage properties overseas? to get the expenses written off against the profit. - that's the purpose of question on this forum.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

Rental Income and LLC

@riyapedm , of course -- an entity formed in California under its laws  is free to pursue  any business , even foreign holdings and/or own foreign entities.

From a tax perspective,  for both federal and state,   there is no distinction between doing business  in the USA  or abroad ( unless the foreign country  / entity/person is sanctioned ).

Does this answer your query ?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies