Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

REFUND OF all NY STATE AND CITY TAXES WITHHELD - DO I NEED TO ATTACH OR HAVE COMPLETED FEDERAL AND/OR WORK/RESIDENCE STATE RETURNS TO NY RETURN THAT IS REQUESTING THE REFUND?

HI 

NY city and state Withholdings were inadvertently taken for 8 months of 2023 when i had moved to utah in December 2022

thanks to advice on this community i will be filing a NY NR form (IT203) indicating partial year NR (with actually zero days in NY ) and so claiming a refund of all deductions

i undersand that i may need to paper file as TT may not allow e filing as situation is rather odd

i actually ran out of time to complete my taxes so filed extensions and / or paid estimate of what I owed to federal and to other state where i either worked and/ or lived in 2023

here is my question: I could file to NY now to accelerate my refund.  However i do not have completed forms for federal or utah which is my new state of residence

should i therefore hold off  filing to NY since the state may require/prefer site of the federal and importantly the Utah returns to show i have paid income tax as a resident of utah

thanks for advice 

copying in a few of you who have helped with other questions 

@TomD8 

@AnnetteB6 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

REFUND OF all NY STATE AND CITY TAXES WITHHELD - DO I NEED TO ATTACH OR HAVE COMPLETED FEDERAL AND/OR WORK/RESIDENCE STATE RETURNS TO NY RETURN THAT IS REQUESTING THE REFUND?

It would be best to file all the returns at the same time.  It is likely that the bottom line of the NY return will not be affected, but your numbers from the Federal return could change and that would affect the amounts reported as the starting point for the NY return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies