Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

GV24
Level 1

Recovering incorrectly collected NY State Family Leave and Disability Insurance Taxes

During a migration between payroll service providers, the payroll team at my employer incorrectly identified me as a resident of KY & NY. I am a resident of KY and work in KY so I am only responsible for KY State & Local Taxes. All prior tax years all state taxes paid and due were for KY. This error is due to an improper classification with the new payroll service provider.

Before the error was detected and future withholding was stopped, NY State Income, Family Leave and Disability Insurance were collected.

Using Turbo Tax, I am able to recover the NY State Income Tax via NY Department of Taxation and Finance form IT-203 however TT does not address the incorrectly collected Family Leave and Disability Insurance taxes.

I request assistance from Intuit to identify what action is required using Turbo Tax to recover both the incorrect NY Family Leave and Disability Insurance withholdings.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Recovering incorrectly collected NY State Family Leave and Disability Insurance Taxes

This would not be done through tax return filing. 

It is considered insurance, not tax. 

I would assume the Payroll Department would be liable. 

You could contact the New York State Paid Family Leave department to see if there is a way to request those funds be returned. 

PFL Helpline (844) 337-6303 

NY PFL

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
GV24
Level 1

KrisD15,

Thank you for the response. Our payroll department has been less than cooperative.

I did some preliminary research on the NY State website and there are channels for communication.

I'm confident NY State considers these deductions "insurance", but I expect non-government employees consider them a tax like federal Social Security.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies