Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Recently moved to MN, now working remotely for prior employer based in CA

Up until May of this year, I was living in California and working for a Californian employer. I moved to Minnesota at the beginning of May, though I'm employed with same company and am now considered a permanent remote employee working from MN; however, Californian income tax is still being withheld from my paychecks. My company is in the process of rectifying that, but until then, am I correct in assuming the following:

1) I am to file a non-resident return for California for the income I earned there from January to April, when I was still living there, and a resident return for Minnesota for the remainder of 2022.

2) Because my employer is not withholding income tax for Minnesota (yet), I must make quarterly tax payments to Minnesota until they do.

3) I'm entitled to a refund of the amount being withheld for Californian taxes while I live outside of California.

Bonus question: is there any circumstance under which I would qualify for a credit to taxes paid to another state in this scenario, or would asking for a refund from California as outlined in point 3 above cover that?

Thank you!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

To nitpick a few points:

For 2022, you will file a part-year resident return for each of the two states.  On those returns you will allocate your income earned as a CA resident to CA, and your income earned as a MN resident to MN, but you will report your withholdings exactly as shown on your W-2.  (You will be able to do the income allocation with TurboTax.)

You are not eligible for an "other state credit" because none of your income is double-taxed (taxed by both states).

You will probably wind up with a refund from CA and taxes due to MN, unless you pay some estimated taxes to MN.  As @Hal_Al pointed out, you are not required to do so.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes, all your assumptions are correct, except you do not need to make MN estimated tax payments for 2022, since you have not previously file a MN return (there is no underpayment penalty for the first year you file in a state).  If you would rather not owe, at tax tax, you can have your employer increase the amount withheld for the rest of the year.

Q. Is there any circumstance under which I would qualify for a credit to taxes paid to another state in this scenario, or would asking for a refund from California as outlined in point 3 above cover that?

A. Asking for a refund from California as outlined in point 3 above covers that.

TomD8
Level 15

To nitpick a few points:

For 2022, you will file a part-year resident return for each of the two states.  On those returns you will allocate your income earned as a CA resident to CA, and your income earned as a MN resident to MN, but you will report your withholdings exactly as shown on your W-2.  (You will be able to do the income allocation with TurboTax.)

You are not eligible for an "other state credit" because none of your income is double-taxed (taxed by both states).

You will probably wind up with a refund from CA and taxes due to MN, unless you pay some estimated taxes to MN.  As @Hal_Al pointed out, you are not required to do so.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Thank you @Hal_Al and @TomD8 for your responses! Concerning this statement, however:

Hal_Al: "there is no underpayment penalty for the first year you file in a state"

...there's an additional wrinkle: I've lived in Minnesota previously and filed taxes here before! Since this technically won't be the first year I file in this state (though I haven't done so as a resident since 2013), does that change my need to pay estimated taxes?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  Since this technically won't be the first year I file in MN (though I haven't done so as a resident since 2013), does that change my need to pay estimated taxes?

A. I  would think that doesn't change anything, but don't know for sure.  The general rule, for states, is: if your previous year tax liability was 0, no estimated payments are required. 

TomD8
Level 15

@jachang0503 --

See "Who Should Make Estimated Tax Payments?" in this reference:

https://www.revenue.state.mn.us/estimated-tax

Ah, I get it - because I'm a part-year resident who'll have at least $1 of Minnesota tax liability for 2022, I'm eligible to use 100% of my tax liability in 2021 for estimated tax payments. But because my prior year's total tax liability in Minnesota was nothing since I didn't live here, my estimated tax payments for this year can be equal to $0 without incurring a penalty! Good to know, although I'm not sure paying a giant lump sum in taxes feels substantially better than parceling it out over the course of a year...

Thanks again for your replies!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies