Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

drieg

Michigan Resident, sold Florida property for a gain. No tax in Florida, but do Do I owe Michigan? And do I have to file in Florida anyway?

My Michigan return picked up the sale since I pay cap gains at the federal level?  But Turbo Tax asks me if the property was sold in a differrent state. Does that mean I dont pay taxes in Michigan?  But I dont know how to back it out of my Michigan retrun if that is so? Also, I think taxes arent due in Florida...but somewhere it said I needed to file a florida return.  Confused here.  Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Michigan Resident, sold Florida property for a gain. No tax in Florida, but do Do I owe Michigan? And do I have to file in Florida anyway?

You do not owe anything to Florida since Florida does not impose an individual income tax.

Michigan, on the other hand, is going to tax you on all of your income/gains no matter in which state it was earned.

EDIT: See https://www.michigan.gov/taxes/-/media/Project/Websites/taxes/Forms/2020/2020-IIT-Forms/MI-8949.pdf?...

Out-of-State Property. Gains from the sale of non business property located in another state are not subject to tax and losses are not deductible. Gains and losses from the sale of business property located in anotherstate are sourced based the location of the business activity.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

You do not owe anything to Florida since Florida does not impose an individual income tax.

Michigan, on the other hand, is going to tax you on all of your income/gains no matter in which state it was earned.

EDIT: See https://www.michigan.gov/taxes/-/media/Project/Websites/taxes/Forms/2020/2020-IIT-Forms/MI-8949.pdf?...

Out-of-State Property. Gains from the sale of non business property located in another state are not subject to tax and losses are not deductible. Gains and losses from the sale of business property located in anotherstate are sourced based the location of the business activity.

harold45
Returning Member

My understanding is Michigan does not require capital gains tax on non business property sold out of state.  Therefore, a secondary home out of state would be excluded.

@harold45 wrote:

My understanding is Michigan does not require capital gains tax on non business property sold out of state.  Therefore, a secondary home out of state would be excluded.

Do you have a cite for this or a link to anything authoritative for that proposition?

I found the following and it does not make mention of any such exclusion.

See https://www.michigan.gov/taxes/-/media/Project/Websites/taxes/MISC/2017/2017_CC41011.pdf?rev=dde85d4...

harold45
Returning Member

Instructions for Completing Form MI-8949:  Out of State Property.  Gains from the sale of non business property located in another state are not subject to tax...

@harold45 wrote:

Instructions for Completing Form MI-8949:  Out of State Property.  Gains from the sale of non business property located in another state are not subject to tax...

Thank you. I found the link and edited my original post.

https://www.michigan.gov/taxes/-/media/Project/Websites/taxes/Forms/2020/2020-IIT-Forms/MI-8949.pdf?...

harold45
Returning Member

Second reply.  MI-8949.  Sale of Property.  Enter in the Michigan column the gain or loss from the sale or exchange of:  Real property located in Michigan.  A vacation property is obviously not located in Michigan.  So far as I can tell, there is no place to list a gain for sale of a non-business property outside Michigan.

TomD8
Level 15

From the Michigan Tax Code R. 206.12 (7):

"Capital gains and losses from the disposition of real property are allocated to the state in which the real property is located."

https://www.law.cornell.edu/regulations/michigan/Mich-Admin-Code-R-206-12

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies