Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

YolandaAlanis
Returning Member

Work in another State Live in another do I have to file for both

I work at this job and they have two locations, one in Wisconsin another in Illinois. I live in Wisconsin the whole tax year. I worked at the store in Illinois for a while but now in Wisconsin and they are saying I owe money is there a way I don't have? Am I required to file for Wisconsin? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are required to file for Wisconsin because you were a full-year resident of that state and had gross income of $11,560 or more (single person, under 65).

Your income earned in Illinois is not taxed by Illinois, because of a "reciprocal agreement" between Wisconsin and Illinois, explained at this website.  If your employer in Illinois withheld Illinois tax from your wages, you can file a nonresident tax return (Form IL-1020 and Schedule NR) with Illinois to claim a refund. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are required to file for Wisconsin because you were a full-year resident of that state and had gross income of $11,560 or more (single person, under 65).

Your income earned in Illinois is not taxed by Illinois, because of a "reciprocal agreement" between Wisconsin and Illinois, explained at this website.  If your employer in Illinois withheld Illinois tax from your wages, you can file a nonresident tax return (Form IL-1020 and Schedule NR) with Illinois to claim a refund. 

YolandaAlanis
Returning Member

I meant to say Illinois is saying I owe money to their state and I live in Wisconsin. If I file for that forum I will not have to get taxed by Illinois correct?

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Correct, because when you file the Illinois IL-1040 and Schedule NR you will show no income taxed by Illinois.  The bottom line should show that there is no tax due to Illinois and that all your Illinois tax withheld will be refunded.

Your income earned in Illinois is not taxed by Illinois, because of a "reciprocal agreement" between Wisconsin and Illinois, explained at this website.  If your employer in Illinois withheld Illinois tax from your wages, you can file a nonresident tax return (Form IL-1020 and Schedule NR) with Illinois to claim a refund. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies