Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will do i avoid oweing taxes when I file next yr? My wife is disabled and gets no income. Intake about 4000 dollars each month with plenty of over time inclusive. We live in a one bedroom apartment w

I work and my wife is disabled with no income . We got no kids and live in a one bedroom apartment.  I make 4000 dollars each month with plenty of over time inclusive. Will I owe taxes when I file nex
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Will do i avoid oweing taxes when I file next yr? My wife is disabled and gets no income. Intake about 4000 dollars each month with plenty of over time inclusive. We live in a one bedroom apartment w

With an income of about $48,000 for the year you certainly do have to pay tax. But whether you owe at the end of the year depends on how much tax you pay during the year.

Are you an employee? Do you have tax taken out of your pay, and get a W-2 at the end of the year? If so, you can use the Tax Withholding Estimator on the IRS web site to adjust your withholding so that you will not owe when you file your tax return. The Tax Withholding Estimator is at the following link.

IRS Tax Withholding Estimator

The fact that your wife is disabled, and what kind of apartment you live in, do not affect your tax.

If your spouse gets a form SSA-1099 for the disability income then the SS benefits will be 85% taxable so add that amount to your other income when estimating tax liability. I recommend you use the Single status on the W-4 and ZERO allowances ... this will help offset the SS income unless you have withholding from the SS itself.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If your spouse gets a form SSA-1099 for the disability income

The OP wrote:

"My wife is disabled and gets no income."

"my wife is disabled with no income ."

Is there a reason your wife has not applied for SSDI?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies