Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax is asking me to "enter or edit spouse's portion of the federal adjustments to income." how do I calculate that?

married filing jointly. this is shown when beginning work on state returns.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Turbotax is asking me to "enter or edit spouse's portion of the federal adjustments to income." how do I calculate that?

Any of the federal adjustments to income (student loan interest, IRA or HSA deduction, etc) that can be isolated and sourced to you spouse would need to be adjusted.  For example, if you had a deduction for student loan interest and your wife is the only one with student loans, they would be her portion.  Usually anything that is not identifiable is divided 50-50.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much for your reply! I am afraid I need a bit more help - Can you comment further on this? Maybe with an example to explain working through it? I am not understanding where the numbers come from. It is mentions a specific amount of federal adjustments to income that I am to assign portions, but none of the expenses in our deductions equal that amount. I don't know what that number is. My spouse has an HSA, but we both have tuition and educational expenses. My spouse also brings in 100 percent of the income. Other than that, I would assume we split things like charitable contributions 50/50. But again, I don't know where the number comes from to split. None of the amount of deductions reported equal the amount to be split. All amounts of expenses reported in deductions exceed this amount to be split. Thank you again for any comments you provide!

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

The adjustment to income would be reported on federal form 1040, schedule 1. You can see the schedule while working on the online version of TurboTax by following these steps:

1. Tools
  2. Tax Tools (left side of the menu bar)
  3. View Tax Summary
  4. Preview my 1040 (left menu bar)

Scroll down through the forms until you find schedule 1.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies