Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax filing-- jointly for federal, and separately for states??

If my wife and I are from different states (SC & IL), what would be the wise way to file state taxes? If I choose joint filing, no issues with the federal, but it shows my name in both state's 1040 as the primary taxpayer and my wife's name as the spouse, which is incorrect. Because, she should be taxpayer in her state (IL), not me! Last year my attorney filed federal jointly and states separately. However, I did not find any option in TurboTax to change the types once I selected it jointly. 

Please suggest me a good solution for that....

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

Please check the link below for information on how to file joint federal and separate state returns.

How do I prepare a joint federal return and separate state ...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your response. The only problem is with Illinois's taxes, as I am non-resident of IL but my wife was a part-year resident (she moved to FL which does not have state employment tax). What I have found online about IL tax refund-

"If you’re married and either you or your spouse is not living in Illinois full time (for example, if one of you serves in the military), you can choose to file as married filing separately. If you file jointly, both you and your spouse will be treated as residents."

My question is, will it create a problem if I submit IL taxes jointly (both of us will be treated as residents, though we are not)? Because, the process described in the answer is very tedious, so I don't want to spend much time on it. 

JulieS
Expert Alumni

You can file jointly in Illinois as part year residents. That will allow you to allocate just Illinois income the the Illinois tax return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies