Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State Tax

Lived and earned income in NC but worked as an extra on a tv show in Charleston SC for a few hours. Received a W2 from production company with all of about $4.92 taxes withdrawn in state of SC. How do I present this on my taxes when asked about earning income in another state? Or do I have to file a state form in NC and SC?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

State Tax

Unfortunately, you do need to file a South Carolina nonresident return.  Nonresidents (SC) are required to file if they have any South Carolina gross income.  Indicate that you made money in SC, although TurboTax will know this from the W-2 entry.  If that was your only SC income, you probably do not owe any tax and will get your $4.92 back.  Prepare the SC return before your resident NC return.  How do I file a nonresident state return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

State Tax

Thanks Dawn.

Is there a way to file the SC form without having to pay for 2 states in Turbotax when the SC is only $94?

Hal_Al
Level 15

State Tax

No.  If you use  TurboTax, you will have to pay for two states. You could try tackling the SC return by hand.  

https://dor.sc.gov/forms-site/Forms/SC1040_2019.pdf

https://dor.sc.gov/forms-site/Forms/SchNR_2018.pdf

Another option is to just ignore it.  Although you are technically required to file, you will not owe anything. So, you are unlikely to hear from the SC dept of revenue.

State Tax

Thank you for the links to those forms. Easy enough.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies