Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State Review

I was advised by members of the community to put resident for wisconsin, having started 2022 living there, then moved to indiana in may and moved back to wisconsin in November, and put indiana as nonresident.

Now, while going through the state review on turbotax, it had me put the amount i made in indiana. Once done i get to the review where it pointed out 2 things that needed corrected. One of which involves wages made in indiana and that since i was listed as a resident of wisconsin i should put 0 or leave that blank.

Changed it to blank but hopefully that wont cause me any issue since it told me to do that right? 

Second one was that it said ‘sch IN-W: Col H-locally code is not a valid indiana county code’ it then mentioned about paper filing and at the end said if i was e filing to ignore this error message.

Seeing this confused me but am I right into assuming by ignoring the message and e-filing, that it will sort itself out and that this is common if you move multiple times in a given year? Not really sure what causes this error to pop up.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

State Review

The advice to  to put resident for the beginning and ending year state and nonresident for the middle state, is usually good advice as TurboTax doesn't handle this situation very well.

But, WI & IN are reciprocal states.  The reciprocal agreement only applies to full year residents. So, in your case, it is not true that your IN wages are 0.  You may need to file as part year resident of both states.  Or, you need to force a number into wages on your IN non resident return. 

You may have to contact support for help. 

TomD8
Level 15

State Review

Did you literally move your domicile (your main, primary, permanent home) from WI to IN in May, or did you keep your domicile in WI and go to IN temporarily, with the intention of returning to WI?

If the former, you file as a part-year resident of each of the two states.  If the latter, you file as a resident of WI and a non-resident of IN.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

State Review

If the latter, would a change of address change filing as a nonresident change any? I know hal-al and others who helped me before mentioned if i had a indiana drivers license or state it would but a simple change of address wouldn’t?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

State Review

Based on your information, it appears that you should file as part year resident of both states.  However, the state that you live in on December 31 can or is usually the resident state.  If that is the case, then you should prepare the IN return first, then prepare the WI return last.  Hope this helps.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies