Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JR54
Level 1

Self employed NJ resident and had PA taxes witheld on PA earned portion of self employed income. Need some help!

I live and work in NJ as  sole proprietor of my own business.  A fraction of my self employed work happens in Pennsylvania and I had PA taxes withheld on a 1099-MIsc.  I did my federal return in TurboTax and then my resident state of NJ.  Then I bought PA return and went through step by step and it just looks all wrong!  Has me owing more money to PA.  Obviously incorrect.  Started reading information on the subject and found that the Non-resident State return should be done first.  How do I get this to make sense?  Do I delete one or both State returns and start over?  Thanks in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Self employed NJ resident and had PA taxes witheld on PA earned portion of self employed income. Need some help!

Yes, please delete both state returns (making sure to save any data that you need).

When you do your federal return, you will enter your business information under the Business Tab in TurboTax Self-employed/Home and Business (different names for the Online or download version).

Then you will add the Pennsylvania return. You will confirm that you are a nonresident. As you progress through the screens, you will eventually come to one that is headed "How Pennsylvania Handles Income for Nonresidents".

Follow the instructions on the following screens and your income and deductions will be allocated.

Then do your New Jersey return. I would expect that your Pennsylvania taxes paid (if any) will appear on line 42 on the NJ-1040 P2 (Credit for Income Taxes Paid to Other Jurisdictions).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JR54
Level 1

Thanks for the response,

I think I have this handled.  First time through I didn't notice the choice to "exclude this form from the return". Once  I excluded my Schedule C the Tax amounts all made sense.  The schedule NRH puts just the apportioned amount of net income onto the PA schedule 40. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies