Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

resident/non-resident state tax filing

We moved from Illinois to North Carolina in October, 2019. When I am doing my North Carolina taxes, there is a question about taxable income earned in another state subject to NC tax. I think they are referring to taxable income from Illinois that is also somehow being taxed in NC. I am not understanding this at all. When I was doing the Illinois return it asked me for the portion of the income that was attributable to Illinois, which was either 100% or 75%. I put those figures into the program. Not at all understanding what NC wants me to do here.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

You would be filing a Part Year Resident Return for both Illinois and North Carolina.

Include only income earned while a resident of each state on that state's return.  

You will need to Allocated Unearned Income (such as a pension) between the states, based on the % of the year lived in each state.

Click this link for more info on How to file a Part-Year Resident Return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Still having a problem with this.....".income  earned in another state subject to NC tax???" I have no idea what to put here. I tried to just enter zero but Turbo Tax tells me it must be greater than zero. Since I split income appropriately on worksheet between Illinois and North Carolina why would I have anything here? In Fact, out taxable income in Illinois turned out to be zero after property tax credits etc. so how can I have anything other than zero here? This one topic is throwing me for a loop and is the last item I have to clear up. I cannot make sense of it.

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Did you have any IL income while you were a resident of NC?  This could be an Illinois rental or from the sale of a house in Illinois.  Other than that, please check that you have NC part year resident return.

@bonniechappell11

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies