Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Remote Worker State Taxes

Hello,

Basic question about state taxes for a remote employee. I live and conduct my work in Alabama but my company is located in Georgia. I just got my first paycheck and noticed that my company deducted Georgia state taxes and not Alabama state taxes. I have a couple of questions:

1. Can I have them deduct Alabama taxes instead? If not...
  2. Will I have to pay both Alabama and Georgia taxes? Also...
  3. If Alabama gives me a credit for taxes paid in Georgia, will that credit be equal to the taxes that I paid in Georgia? Finally...
  4. Can my wife and I still fill jointly even though we are earning income from two different states? 

I'm not sure I realized how complicated this could get before accepting this new opportunity. This tax year will be interesting with me earning income in two different states and having two dependent children rolling off my taxes as well. Any insights would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

First complete your federal return, then your non resident George return and lastly your resident Alabama return.  Alabama will give you credit for any tax paid to Georgia. File jointly. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Your income is subject to tax by the state that you live in and the state that you work in. It doesn't matter where your employer is located. In your case, you live and work in Alabama, so your income is only subject to Alabama tax. You do not have to pay any Georgia tax unless you sometimes go to Georgia and work there.

1. Can I have them deduct Alabama taxes instead?

You should ask them to do that. They might not be willing or able to withhold Alabama tax, but they can certainly stop withholding Georgia tax. If they do not withhold Alabama tax, you will have to make quarterly estimated tax payments to Alabama. They should not be withholding Georgia tax, because you do not work in Georgia. However, if you sometimes work in Georgia, they should withhold Georgia tax, but only for the days that you work there.

2. Will I have to pay both Alabama and Georgia taxes?

No, as I said above, unless you sometimes work in Georgia.

3. If Alabama gives me a credit for taxes paid in Georgia, will that credit be equal to the taxes that I paid in Georgia?

Not necessarily. It depends on the relative tax rates of the two states. Alabama probably would not give you credit for more than the amount of Alabama tax on your Georgia income. So if the Georgia tax rate is higher you would end up paying the full amount of Georgia tax, but no Alabama tax, on your Georgia income. But if Alabama tax is higher, the credit would be equal to the Georgia tax that you pay, but you would still pay some Alabama tax in addition.

4. Can my wife and I still fill jointly even though we are earning income from two different states?

Yes, you can and should file jointly in any case. But you might not actually have income from two different states. If you don't work in Georgia at all, all of your income will be Alabama income.

TomD8
Level 15

As @rjs said, ideally your employer will withhold only AL taxes for you (assuming you'll never work within GA).

If your employer cannot withhold AL taxes for you, then you need to make quarterly estimated tax payments to AL.  Here's a link with more info on that:

https://www.revenue.alabama.gov/individual-corporate/individual-income-estimated-taxes/

Some states tax non-resident remote workers; Georgia is not one of them.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies