Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NJ underpayment penalty because of interest income? Taxes already overpaid to NY for wages

I have tax credit for my wages earned / paid in New York, but I'm getting an "underpayment penalty" for New Jersey because of income taxes due on my interest income.

Now, the NJ tax due is only a few hundred dollars (roughly $450) vs my total state tax paid to NY of $10k+ (I'm due a refund of $3k+ because I overpaid state taxes for my wages), but somehow I'm still being asked for an underpayment penalty on my NJ return. Wanted to know if others here have faced something similar and if we can ask for a waiver?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

NJ underpayment penalty because of interest income? Taxes already overpaid to NY for wages

"because of income taxes due on my interest income"

Why do you say that?  the penalty calculation doesn't care what your income sources are.

The penalty is based on your net tax after credit for NY tax paid.

@NJ_Devils 

I would have gotten tax credit for taxes paid to NY if it wasnt interest income.

Since interest income isn't considered NY source income, I can't just use my overpayment on NY taxes to cover for it.

"I can't just use my overpayment on NY taxes"

You don't get credit for overpayment, you get credit for tax .

@NJ_Devils 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies