Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New to doing Federal and TWO states???

For years I’ve done TT for Federal and my home state, California…. Same this year but in addition I need to file a Kansas return because of a capital gain on my dad’s home we sold there in 2021.  

I bought TT Premier, downloaded Ca and then bought the extra state, Kansas.  I think I might be ok on getting the returns all done OK (Fed, Ca and Ks) but what I’m wanting to know is can I file Fed and Ca electronically as I’ve done in the past but, in part because I owe Kansas a small amount of money, I am considering just printing out the Kansas form and mailing that to Kansas along with my payment owed…. Can I do that in TT???  Just that part is all new to me…. And if I can do that, do I also need to print and send a copy of my Federal as well to Kansas???

Or maybe you would recommend it would be best to do all three electronically (I don’t mind the extra state filing expense) and pay Kansas from the same bank account that I will have refunds deposited for Fed and Ca…. ???  I just want the best and most straight forward way to have this all work out ok...  And if I do the all three electronic approach, should I do Fed first and wait on the states???  In the past I always just do Fed and Ca electronically at the same time...  

Just help me understand options on what’s best to do with respect to this one time Kansas return???  Any help would be much appreciated...  thanks...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can e-file your federal and CA returns and mail in Kansas return. 

When you get to the File section in the program, you can select e-file for your federal and CA returns and print and mail for your Kansas state return.

TurboTax will ensure that you have all the forms you need when you mail your state return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

And can I also assume that I choose to E-file ALL three, Fed, Ca and Ks, that that too, works just like it's always worked for me in the past when I've just done Fed and Ca???  I understand I will likely have to go through the painfully long payment process not just for Ca but then again for Ks.  But otherwise, that should work for three (Fed, Ca and Ks) just like it's worked in the past for two, (Fed and Ca)???  As you can see I am new to doing more than just the two...  thanks in advance...

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Yes, the process works the same for e-filing multiple states.  As you said, you will have to go through the payment process for each state, but other than that it works the same as when you have one state.

One more question.  I'm used to getting refund and for Fed and Ca, that will be the case again this year.  But for Ks, we will owe them a very small amount, around $200.  Just as I can ask my Fed and Ca refunds to be automatically refunded into a specific bank account, can I also PAY Kansas exactly the same way???  And even from that same account???  thanks...

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Yes. You may directly debit all or part of the amount due from your bank account when e-filing. The debit may be scheduled to occur anytime on or before the tax due date.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies