Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Minnesota Property Tax Refund Error

Turbo Tax is making an error re: my Minnesota property tax and special property tax refund. I should be receiving both of these refunds but Turbo Tax is stating I am not eligible for either of them. I've filed M1PR on our MN online system and have entered the same information I entered in Turbo Tax and the MN online filing system shows I am to receive both of these refunds. Turbo Tax is providing inaccurate information on this - thi could have caused me to lose out on a nice sum of money.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

I reviewed your file and noticed the property tax statement was not completely filled out. Once I started working on this, this, I started putting in some  numbers.  After doing this, the property tax refund populated in the M1PR.

Here is how to edit your information. You will need your 2023 property tax statement to enter this information.

1. Go to your state return.
  2. Click edit next to Minnesota
  3. When you get to the Property Tax Statements, select edit.
  4. This will bring you to the worksheet.
  5. Use the scroll bar to scroll down and make sure  values are listed in Step 1 through step 3.
  6. Fill everything out accurately as you can to complete the worksheet so you can claim your property tax for the year. 

@bnj235 @lilmamatracy 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2022" file that is experiencing this issue. We would like to know if there is an error, we can attempt to fix it but first we must verify there is a problem.

You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information. If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: 

If using Turbo Tax online:

1. Click on Tax Tools in the left menu bar
  2. Click on Tools>share my file with agent
  3. press ok and you should get a token number
  4. Please let us know what that token number is.
lilmamatracy
Returning Member

I am having this same issue.

Let me know where to send the token or whatever.

token:1125688

Thanks!

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

I reviewed your file and noticed the property tax statement was not completely filled out. Once I started working on this, this, I started putting in some  numbers.  After doing this, the property tax refund populated in the M1PR.

Here is how to edit your information. You will need your 2023 property tax statement to enter this information.

1. Go to your state return.
  2. Click edit next to Minnesota
  3. When you get to the Property Tax Statements, select edit.
  4. This will bring you to the worksheet.
  5. Use the scroll bar to scroll down and make sure  values are listed in Step 1 through step 3.
  6. Fill everything out accurately as you can to complete the worksheet so you can claim your property tax for the year. 

@bnj235 @lilmamatracy 

Oh wow - I don't know how I missed that. And I went over my tax return many many times to try to find an error that would be causing the system to not show my property tax refund. Thank you very much @DaveF1006 for showing the steps I needed to take to enter my information and correct my error.  I had mailed my state refund before you provided your answer, so my paperwork I mailed to the state did not include my M1PR form or the Homesteads with New Improvements and/or Expired Exclusions Worksheet. But I filed for my property tax refund online, which includes the same info as what's on my two missing forms from my mailing. Do I still need to mail these two missing forms to the state? Or would it cause confusion/a red flag if I sent the state an envelope with only these two missing forms? I'm thinking I should call the state and tell them of the situation and ask them how they prefer me to handle this. I've never encountered this situation before. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Mailing the forms could cause confusion I recommend contacting them.

I let Dave know you appreciate his help.

I'm having the same problem. TurboTax is also telling me on Schedule M1Sa that home mortgage interest should not have a value since federal Schedule A, lines 8b and 8c are blank. I'm unable to make any adjustment there. What should I do?

I've gone through the steps Dave listed and still get an error.

I'm now getting an appropriate result with the Property Tax Refund but the error regarding lines on federal Schedule A is persisting. No matter what I do, I keep getting the error.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies