Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ridofr01

llc deduct a vehicle purchase from income

My LLC purchased a vehicle for work in 2021, can this amount be deducted from Idaho State Income?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Idaho conforms to Internal Revenue Service depreciation rules with regard to vehicles used in a business. You can take a deduction on your Idaho personal income tax return for a vehicle to the extent it is used in a business that you own based on the allowed treatment of the vehicle deduction on your federal tax return. 

The allowed deduction for the cost of a vehicle used for business purposes varies depending on the type of vehicle, the percent of business versus personal use of the vehicle, the income of the business and a variety of other considerations.

When you enter your business income and expenses in the federal section of TurboTax, you will see a section for vehicle use, you need to complete that section and the vehicle expenses will flow down to your Idaho return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

In my TT Business 2022 - there is no question to ask me about purchase of a vehicle for the business except for an alternative fuel type. How do I get this into the software?

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

It depends on what type of business you made the purchase for.  If you file your business on a Schedule C, you can add your vehicle as an asset purchased by your business.

To do this in TurboTax Online you can follow these steps:

1. Within your tax return use the magnifying glass icon to search for Schedule C
  2. Click the Jump to link
  3. Click Edit for the line of work
  4. Scroll down and click Add expenses for this work
  5. Scroll to and click Add for Assets - if you don't see it on the list, scroll down to the Less Common section and click the down arrow and show more until you do
  6. Click Continue
  7. Click Start for Assets

@jhermano872 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies