Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

arv73747

K-40PT

After completing my Kansas tax form I received the following message, " K-40PT indicates that this is an amended claim, therefore, you are not eligible to file electronically."  I do not understand this because this  is the only Income Tax Form I have completed for Kansas.  How can this problem be resolved?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

K-40PT

I recommend you go through your state interview section again for Kansas.  There is a question towards the end of the interview section which asks Would you like to file an amended return. 

It is possible this question was accidentally check yes instead of no. 

If you go through the interview section again, you will be able to change you answer to no on this screen and proceed with your state return.

KS amend questions

Select Other forms and revisit to the right of Amended Return on the screen above.  You will see the following screen.

KS amend screen

Be sure to select I don't want to amend my return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

K-40PT

Tried that too. No joy. It still comes back every time it checks errors and won't let me e-file without it.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

K-40PT

Form K-40PT is a Property Tax Relief Claim form for low income seniors.   Are you intending on including the claim in your return?   If not, try deleting that form and see if you can file.   And if you are trying to include it, go back through that section in the Kansas return and make sure you did not answer anything that would mark the ''amended'' claim box, see image below.  

Kansas has 2 property tax credits available:

1. The Homestead Refund is a rebate program for the property taxes paid by homeowners.  (K-40H)
  2. SAFESR is a property tax refund program administered under the provisions of the Kansas Homestead Act (property tax refund). SAFESR is also referred to as, "Kansas Property Tax Relief for Low Income Seniors".  (K-40PT)

A claimant may receive either a Homestead or a SAFESR refund but not both.    @zostay

brillo6977
Returning Member

K-40PT

I have tried all the suggestions that have been listed and can not get past it flagging the K-40PT Appraised Property Value. I'm to the electronic filing and it will not allow me to go any further without this section completed. I do not qualify for the K-40PT form. 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

K-40PT

If you are sure that you should not claim the credit on form K-40PT, you can try to delete the form and see if that fixes the issue in the Review.

*** Desktop***

1. go to View (at the top), choose Forms, and select the desired form (K-40PT). Note the Delete Form button at the bottom of the screen.

*** Online ***

1. go to Tax Tools (on the left), and navigate to Tools->Delete a form

2. delete form(s) K-40PT

If that doesn't address your in the Review, come back and tell us.

K-40PT

There's a bug in the software. The form has not been added to my return at all. However, in the final validation step it adds it. Go into your issue management software and tell the engineers that Property Tax Paid/Due Smart Worksheet Line B is required even when form K-40PT has not been created and has not been required by any other entry.

I am seeing this bug in the Mac Desktop version of the software.

brillo6977
Returning Member

K-40PT

I have deleted the K-40PT form 6 times but it continues to show back up. I can only get to the form when I type K-40PT in the search tab it doesn't show up as part of my return. I have made it to the final transmission of the return just for it to send me back. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies