turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Im thinking in accepting a job, the company is in Ohio but i live in Florida. If Im working from home in Florida for a company in Ohio. Do I need to pay state taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Im thinking in accepting a job, the company is in Ohio but i live in Florida. If Im working from home in Florida for a company in Ohio. Do I need to pay state taxes?

You would file non resident Ohio return since you will be taxed on that income. 

@Bsch4477 So I will have to pay State taxes and Federal taxes? In Florida we only pay Federal taxes, that is why Im asking.

You would pay federal and Ohio state tax. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I disagree with @Bsch4477. There are a few states that tax remote workers (telecommuters), but Ohio is not one of them. If you are working in Florida for a company in Ohio, you do not pay Ohio tax. You should make sure that the company does not withhold Ohio tax from your pay. However, if you go to the company office in Ohio, even just occasionally or for a short time, you have to pay Ohio tax on the money that you earn for the time that you are working in Ohio.

Hal_Al
Level 15

I agree with rjs, you do not pay OH state tax exept for the days you physically work in OH.  If you work even one day, in OH, you will then be required to file a non-resident OH return.

Ask you employer not to withhold  either state or city income tax.   Most OH employers know that they are not required to withhold OH state income tax in your situation.  But, some think they are required to withhold city income tax.  If that happens, you may have to file a city return to get a refund.  Contact the city for a special refund form. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies