turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I moved. Do I need to file a state tax for Missouri even though I didn't earn income there? Do I need to file a state tax 4 Unemployment if I didn't live in the state?

I moved to another state due to the pandemic. I never earned income in the new state because I was still receiving unemployment income from Connecticut. Do I need to file for Missouri even though I didn't earn income there? Do I need to file for Connecticut for unemployment benefits even though I don't live there?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

I moved. Do I need to file a state tax for Missouri even though I didn't earn income there? Do I need to file a state tax 4 Unemployment if I didn't live in the state?

@raffealsears ,  in general, you will need to file a return for the state  where you received  your income from  ( be it wages, unemployment, business, rental etc. )   as a Non-resident and also a return for the state  that you are resident of ( at the end of the year ).  Thus in your case  ( and assuming that you have  become a resident of the State of Missouri ) you file a return  for Connecticut as a Non-Resident  ( recognizing all  in-state sourced income like  wages, unemployment  etc. ) , pay taxes for the income    and then file a return for  your current  Resident State  ( Missouri ) on world income & taking credit for  taxes paid  to another state ( Connecticut ).

Does this make sense ?

Thank you so much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies