Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have to add NYC city taxes since I moved at the end of the year and the city taxes weren't withheld, and I am asked for wages earned. What does wages earned mean?

The section is about NYC city taxes and says if you earned income in NYC but did not have city income tax withheld, select *Add* to enter the employer name and wages earned. Then in the next form it asks for Employer and Wages earned. Which wages do I enter? Federal? NY State? And do I enter the total for the year, or the percentage earned while living in NYC?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I have to add NYC city taxes since I moved at the end of the year and the city taxes weren't withheld, and I am asked for wages earned. What does wages earned mean?

New York City only taxes residents of New York City for work performed in New York City.  So the information you need to enter is the percentage of income earned in New York City after having moved to New York City.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for answering the part of the question about whether to add only the income earned whilst living in NYC.

Would you happen to know also which income this should be based on? NY state has a different amount than federal.

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

The percentage of taxable NYC income would be based on NY State taxable income amounts.  You could have a different taxable amount for New York state for a number of reasons, the most likely of which being if you drew unemployment in the year.  New York is not allowing the deduction for unemployment insurance on the state return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies