Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I can elect to carry back or carry forward my Alabama NOL. 2018 AL tax due was $46. 2017 AL tax due was $0. If I carry back, will I receive a refund of $46?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

I can elect to carry back or carry forward my Alabama NOL. 2018 AL tax due was $46. 2017 AL tax due was $0. If I carry back, will I receive a refund of $46?

" Taxpayers are allowed to carryback a net operating loss to the two previous tax years. Any remaining amount of net operating loss can be carried forward for up to fifteen years following the loss year." Ref: Alabama Net Operating Loss (NOL) Provisions for Individuals

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

TurboTax generated a Form NOL-85 for me.  I did not check the box in Part III because I want to carryback.  TurboTax DID NOT generate a Form NOL-85A for me.  Do I have to do that manually?  Also, do I need to file amended returns for the previous years?  Thank you.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Yes, to carry it back, you will have to file amended returns. The state of AL says:

Form NOL-85A is designed to apply a net operating loss to the tax year to which the loss is being carried. Before Form NOL-85A can be completed, you must first complete Form NOL-85 to determine the amount of net operating loss that may be carried back or forward.

NOL-85A - Alabama Department of

You can follow this link to see if your version of Turbo Tax supports the NOL-85A.,Forms Availability

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have used TurboTax for several years.  I file an Alabama 40NR and have had a net operation loss for the 4 years I have owned an Alabama rental property.  I do not see how to get TurboTax to check the box at the bottom of Alabama Form NOL-85 to "Elect to Forfeit Carryback Provision and instead elect to carryforward any allowable net operating loss for this taxable year".

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies