Hi, how would I determine the day I became a resident of the State I am filing taxes for?

What state? Please advise so we can look this up for you. Different states have different criteria for nonresidents, part-year residents, and residents. 

New York. Thank you!

It depends.

1. You would be considered a resident for New York if your domicile is in New York or
  2. If your domicile is not in New York but you maintain a permanent place of abode in New York state for more than 11 months and spend over 184 days in New York during the tax year.

See the attached for more details on determining when you are considered a resident for New York.

New York residency details

You became a resident of NY on the day you began living in your new home in NY.  Temporary lodging such as a hotel doesn't count.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.**