Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Can you deduct the insurance premiums that are deducted from your pay check on the NJ State tax form?

No, that is not the case with the dependent care FSA. This is a pre-tax benefit account that is used for Dependent Care and is not eligible for state credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JB7
Level 3

Can you deduct the insurance premiums that are deducted from your pay check on the NJ State tax form?

So how about the specific case of LTD (Long Term Disability) insurance premiums? These are *not* pre-tax for the Federal return, but sound like something that could be a deductible medical premium for NJ - but I haven't found anything for this yet. Thanks.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@JB7 

Long-term disability insurance is not health insurance. The premiums cannot be deducted as a medical expense.

JungleHermit
Returning Member

Hello,

I wanted to confirm this again as I'm not sure if I am reading this right.

Are we stating that typical pre-tax deductions shown on pay slips for employer sponsored health insurance plans are indeed deductible for NJ return?

i.e.

Medical, Vision, Dental pre-tax deduction from gross pay on a payslip

Thanks,

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@JungleHermit wrote:

Hello,

I wanted to confirm this again as I'm not sure if I am reading this right.

Are we stating that typical pre-tax deductions shown on pay slips for employer sponsored health insurance plans are indeed deductible for NJ return?

i.e.

Medical, Vision, Dental pre-tax deduction from gross pay on a payslip

@JungleHermit  Yes, that's what we are saying.

Thanks.  That was not what I was asking.

rrs6565

This is a big deal that I am just hearing about. I have a employer provided health insurance plan, like most people. My share per paycheck cost is very high, over $14k a year. I can now use this as a medical deduction for New Jersey?

Are we sure this not just for self-employed people?

Medical Expenses
You can deduct from your gross income certain medical expenses that you paid during the year for yourself, your spouse or domestic partner, and your dependents. However, you cannot deduct expenses for which you were reimbursed. Only expenses that exceed 2% of your income can be deducted.

Some examples of allowable medical expenses are: payments for doctor's visits, dental care, hospital care, eye examinations, eyeglasses, medicine, and x-rays or other diagnostic services directed by your physician or dentist. Insurance premiums, including amounts paid under Social Security for Medicare, can be used as medical deductions. You also can deduct transportation costs that are allowable on your federal return. If you deduct medical expenses in one year and are reimbursed in the next, you must include the reimbursement as income in the year you receive the payment.

Part of your medical expenses may include Archer MSA Contributions or a Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction.

https://www.nj.gov/treasury/taxation/njit13.shtml

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies