Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

California -- PPP Deduction for Businesses

In February, California changed it so that companies can deduct expenses that PPP loans are used for, up to $150,000, essentially mirroring the change at the Federal level. However, for TurboTax Business, when using the CA State program, it's revising the net taxable income upwards by the amount of the PPP loan, reflecting an adjustment for its treatment of the PPP loan versus Federal, which I don't believe is actually the case. It appears the software is just not up-to-date (although I do have the latest version). 😒 

While it may not directly impact me since the apportionment of my S-Corporation's income to CA is zero (I just pay the franchise fee for being incorporated there), it still doesn't seem ideal to incorrectly file taxes. Any advice?

Taxes are due March 15, so TurboTax should have updated their software by now.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Actually, I may have misread that third party source, and that California has not officially passed the PPP deduction provision yet; it may not be until June, in which case I'm reading it may make sense for impacted CA returns to extend their filing...

rdl
Level 1

The latest is CA allows PPP deduction, as long as the company is non-public and experienced 25% or more loss of revenue.

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/california-largely-not-fully-conforms-to-deductibility-expenses...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies