Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nwpierce
Returning Member

Re 2020 Tax Returns: Anyone experiencing difficulties with the State of Maryland on the MD EIC refund?

I received an EIC refund of $1,865; Maryland claimed they overpaid me by $3,032.38.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LeticiaF1
Expert Alumni

Re 2020 Tax Returns: Anyone experiencing difficulties with the State of Maryland on the MD EIC refund?

We do not have access to your information, did you get a letter from the state?  Could you give us more information on why the state is claiming they overpaid you?

nwpierce
Returning Member

State: "... Maryland law allows a credit not to exceed one-half of the EIC allowable on the Federal Return....  The EIC amount claimed on your Maryland return exceeds the amount allowed under Maryland law."

My response: " I have received your “Notice of Adjustment” pertaining to my 2020 MD tax return. I have reviewed my copy. I used the computer program TurboTax to prepare my 2020 returns; I accurately reported no income. My federal Earned Income Credit (EIC) was calculated by TurboTax as being $6,660.00.

"Your notice states: “Maryland law allows a credit not to exceed one-half of the EIC allowable on the Federal Return.” Therefore, the maximum allowable MD EIC for 2020 would have been $3,330.00 (one-half of $6,660). That is the exact figure which was entered on my MD Form 502, page 2, line 22. My refundable EIC on Form 502, page 3, line 42, is listed as being $1,865.00; this is the refund which I actually received.

"Pray tell, how did you calculate a Maryland EIC overpayment to me of $3,032.38 in 2020? After all the total EIC refunded to me by MD in 2020 was only $1,865. A further explanation of your calculation is needed. Until I receive such an explanation, I believe that your proposed adjustment is incorrect."

AmyC
Expert Alumni

That sounds good but TurboTax has a special phone number for help with tax letters. Click on the blue button that says "Get help from TurboTax support" after you click here.

Just in case, How to submit documentation for accuracy guarantee claims.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies