turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Problem with turbotax overestimating my state tax return after my former workplace messed up my W-2

Hello,

Unfortunately, the HR dept of my former workplace completely messed up my W-2, and by the time I realized it, it was too late to change it. They put the incorrect address on it (one I had while living in MA, even though I moved back to PA back in 2018). I requested them to change my address back to the PA one multiple times throughout the past year, but they never did. I pointed this out to them on the W-2, but it couldn't be changed. However, the HR dept were able to create an adjusted W-2 showing partial wages earned in PA and partial wages earned in MA, with the address being listed as changed in Sept 5, 2019. Therefore, for tax purposes, I just had to state on TurboTax that I moved in 2019 from MA to PA (even though I didn't, but I'm not sure what else to do). I have to therefore file taxes for both MA and PA. According to the adjusted W-2 from my former workplaces, the wages I earned in PA are $7,320, and state income tax is $224.72, and per the HR's suggestion, I subtracted those amounts from the respective wages and state income tax for the federal amounts ($18,808 and $875.32, respectively) to determine the wages and state income tax for MA ($11,000-ish in MA wages and $650-ish in MA state income tax, respectively). There does not, however, appear to be any taxes withheld for PA, as I was unknowingly paying taxes to MA because my address was wrong in the HR records. So there is $0 tax withheld for PA, but for some reason my state refund for PA is really high at $875. What is happening here? Have I done something wrong in trying to enter in the amounts, or is this a result of my former workplace's ridiculous error? Any help or advice is much appreciated. I really wish I could attach my saved return thus far to this message, as this is rather complicated to explain.

Thank you and regards,

Clementine

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Problem with turbotax overestimating my state tax return after my former workplace messed up my W-2

First of all the address on your W-2 doesn't matter at all.

You will indicate on your tax return 

what states you reside and what dates apply if you were a part year resident.

If you have a W-2 and a W-2c now, you have to figure out how to merge them, unfortunately. i.e. which correct amount to enter from either document.

Start over.

if you moved back to PA in 2018 you file as a non-resident of MA for 2019.

do your non-resident tax return first.

If your W-2c is complete you can ignore the first W-2.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies