Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mbog
Level 1

Possible issue on state tax calculation with multiple state

I am full-time CA resident.   I have paid 2023 CA taxes.

My spouse is a full-time KS resident  but works for an employer based in MO side of Kansas City area.   She has paid 2023 KS and MO taxes.

We have paid estimated taxes for CA though we still have CA tax due.

TurboTax is showing refunds from KS and MO that is quite higher than what my spouse paid on her income.

I have not looked at all the calculations in the form view (I used the wizards) but this does not make sense to me.   Could there be an issue here?

One thing I notice in tax summary you see when clicking on the top level widget showing the amounts is that the estimated CA state taxes paid seems to be showing under MO.

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

I would like to take a deeper look at this. However, I need a diagnostic file which is a copy of your tax return that has all of your personal information removed. You can send one to us by following the  directions below:

1. Open your return.
  2. Click the Online tab in the black bar across the top of TurboTax and select “Send Tax File to Agent
  3. This will generate a message that a diagnostic copy will be created.  Click on OK and the tax file will be sanitized and transmitted to us.

Please provide the Token Number that was generated in the response.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mbog
Level 1

Hi,

The issue was data entry related.   It seems that it is possible to enter a state estimated tax payment without actually specifying the state.   I don't know how I was able to enter data like that in EasySteps but it was not flagged as an error.   I manually fixed it in the form view.

Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies