Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lexcon
Returning Member

Pennsylvania - reporting sales of personal items?

Say a Pennsylvania resident sold some unwanted personal items online during 2021. All sales were for less than the purchase price (for example, sold an unwanted pair of pants for $5). Do all of these sales have to be reported on the PA income tax return?

This (https://www.revenue.pa.gov/FormsandPublications/PAPersonalIncomeTaxGuide/Pages/Gains-Losses-Sale-Exc...) seems to indicate that any sale of personal property must be reported even if it resulted in a loss. Am I reading that right?

If so, what's the procedure for doing this in TurboTax? I don;t see an obvious way to enter these types of sales in the state return.

Do these sales need to go on the Federal return too?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
lexcon
Returning Member

I'm particularly looking at this from the link above "If a taxpayer has a loss on personal use property or other property where a loss is not permitted, the transaction must still be reported. However, in such situations, the transaction will show the sales price and basis as the same amount for Pennsylvania personal income tax purposes."

lexcon
Returning Member

I think it's entirely possible that i'm misinterpreting what "property" is in this context

lexcon
Returning Member

Found an answer for my question about the Federal return at least https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/do-i-have-to-report-personal-items-that-i-sold/00/....

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies