Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Pay IRS and California Taxes online after choosing 'mail by check' in Turbotax, do I still need to mail 8453 forms?

I e-filed both Federal and California (Due 10/16/2023) tax return today choosing 'mail by check' and planned to pay them online (I owed both) later. However Turbotax generated form 8453 with vouchers to pay the tax dues. 

Do I still need mail 8453 with required document after I pay them off online with credit card?

Form 8453

Need to | What is this form?

Mail | This form is used to send any required forms or supporting

| documentation to the IRS.

| When do I mail it?

| Do not mail Form 8453 until after your return is accepted by the IRS.

| Attach the following items to Form 8453: Form 8949 or an acceptable

| Continuation Sheet for Schedule D.

|

| Mail Form 8453 to:

| Internal Revenue Service

| Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254

| Receipt and Control Branch

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Pay IRS and California Taxes online after choosing 'mail by check' in Turbotax, do I still need to mail 8453 forms?

Form 8453 has nothing to do with how you pay the tax that you owe. From what you posted, you have to send Form 8949 or an equivalent statement to the IRS showing the details of your investment sales, because you summarized multiple sales in a single entry on your tax return. Form 8453 is a cover page for the documents that you are sending, so the IRS can match it up to your e-filed tax return.

You can probably meet the requirement by sending a photocopy of your brokerage statement or 1099-B report showing the individual investment sales. Whatever you send has to be attached to Form 8453. How you paid your tax does not make any difference.

View solution in original post

Thank you ! That makes sense now.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Form 8453 has nothing to do with how you pay the tax that you owe. From what you posted, you have to send Form 8949 or an equivalent statement to the IRS showing the details of your investment sales, because you summarized multiple sales in a single entry on your tax return. Form 8453 is a cover page for the documents that you are sending, so the IRS can match it up to your e-filed tax return.

You can probably meet the requirement by sending a photocopy of your brokerage statement or 1099-B report showing the individual investment sales. Whatever you send has to be attached to Form 8453. How you paid your tax does not make any difference.

Thank you ! That makes sense now.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies