Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Part year CA resident

My wife and I moved from CO to CA at the end of March 2019.   I have completed (but not yet filed) our Federal and CO tax returns using TurboTax Home & Business as I have done for many years.  I am stuck on two parts of the CA return, but will only list one here.  The first is Nonresident Adjustments which divides my income between CA and CO.  Under the heading of "Other California Taxable Income", TurboTax says "Enter the portion of the following income that you earned while you were a California resident. If none, enter zero".  TurboTax  then lists some categories including Pension & Annuity Distributions with the Federal Adjusted amount shown for each. It asks me to fill in the California amounts.  I liquidated a chunk of my 401k to purchase a house in CA after we had moved to CA, but the funds were "earned" over a 34 year period in CO.  What do they really want here?  I already entered into TurboTax, everything there is to know about the dates of my relocation, dates and location of every dollar received in 2019, etc.  Can someone please give me guidance?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TomD8
Level 15

Part year CA resident

A distribution from a 401K is taxable by your State of Residence at the time you receive it.  Therefore, if you took the 401K distribution after your move to CA, it is CA income.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies