Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Incognoodle
Returning Member

Part time work in NY

So my wife and I both live in NJ and work in NJ. I work in NJ fulltime, all year round. My wife is a teacher and works in NJ during the school year, but works for a camp in NY state during the summer. Finished filing the taxes for both states and NY is the only one where we owe anything - $200. Even though she only made a around $4k in the summer (only a handful of weeks for camp), NY's taxable income is almost as much as NJ's (only about 10k less)? Am I missing something? Or does NY tax your entire income regardless? If we owe, that's fine, but that seemed really odd to me and was wondering if I messed up somewhere.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
SharonD007
Expert Alumni

Part time work in NY

We can't tell if you are missing something because we can't review your tax return.  New York doesn't tax your entire income when you file a nonresident tax return; only your New York sourced income.  You should get a credit on your New Jersey tax return for the taxes that you paid in New York.

Refer to the NY State Department of Taxation and Finance Filing information for New York State nonresidents for more information.

When you prepare your state returns, you must prepare the nonresident tax return first (NY) followed by your resident state tax return (NY) to ensure that you get the credit for the taxes paid to NY. If you need to clear your state returns and start over, refer to the TurboTax articles How do I delete my state return in TurboTax Online? or How do I clear my state return in the TurboTax for Windows software?

Please note, prepare the state that you work in first, followed by the state you live in. Refer to the TurboTax article Multiple States - Figuring What's Owed When You Live and Work in More Than One State 

and How do I handle my state if I'm a New Jersey resident who works in New York? for additional information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies