Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ngoyangoya
Returning Member

paing taxes in maryland and Dc but wish to solve the problem for tax puposes next year.

hello, i live in both Maryland and Dc and does not have a permanent address as i use both the two addresses, i also work in two companies, from January till now, i have been using Maryland address in one company while j just started working in another company in march but using DC address with the second company and have been paying taxes till today. i had drivers license in Maryland but converted it to DC recently. now, i have noticed that they might be a problem when filling taxes, what should i do, should i maintain the two addresses, or cancel one, if so which one is better for tax purposes.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TomD8
Level 15

paing taxes in maryland and Dc but wish to solve the problem for tax puposes next year.

Your state of residence for tax purposes is determined by state law; it isn't something that you can just pick and choose.  Here are MD and DC's residency laws:

MD regards you as a resident if you were domiciled in MD on the last day of the tax year, or if you maintained a place of abode in MD for more than 6 months of the taxable year and were present in MD for 183 days or more during the taxable year.

https://www.marylandtaxes.gov/forms/Tax_Publications/Administrative_Releases/Income_and_Estate_Tax_R...

DC regards you as a resident if you are domiciled in DC at any time during the taxable year, or if you maintain a place of abode within DC for 183 days or more during the taxable year, regardless of where you are domiciled.

https://otr.cfo.dc.gov/page/audit-division-frequently-asked-questions#:~:text=How%20is%20the%20183%2....

So we need more details about your living situation in order to help you with your questions.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies