Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

PA state - Wash sales and Pension

Wash sale example - proceeds 152, cost basis 161  (1g) Wash sale disallowed 8. Now on the PA tax form it is strictly 152 and 161. The Wash Sale in this example 8 is not included for PA. Therefore I can claim the loss of 8 for PA State. Is this correct?

Also, I added my 1099 R  form in the federal. It carried over into PA state. The 1099R does not show any PA state tax. It appears it is being taxed on my PA state form. I didn't think PA taxes your pension?( It was an early retirement, does this matter)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are exactly correct in your understanding between the wash sale rules for IRS and Pennsylvania (PA). Keep in mind you must track this cost basis for federal and remember you no longer have a cost basis to use for this wash sale when you do your PA return next year.  

Again you are correct, that pensions when taken at retirement are not taxable.  You must make the correct selection in your PA return when you reach the screen 'What kind of retirement income do you have from Pennsylvania?'. Select the dropdown and choose 'I'm eligible, plan's eligible (no PA tax)' (see the image below).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@DianeW777 

cc: @Nicki9 

Based on your answer, since the adjusted cost basis on the triggering transaction is not marked as an adjustment, nor associated with the wash sale on 1099-B,

you will get to subtract that disallowed loss twice on your PA tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies