Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

qncwglml
Returning Member

overriding the filing status in Ohio CCA local return incorrectly reduces the federal charitible deduction limit

Reporting what I consider a bug.  My federal and state and status is married filing joint (MFJ), but I have Federal Schedule E income that I pay local taxes on and report to Ohio's Central Collection Agency (CCA).  The Schedule E income is earned only by me, so my filing status for CCA is single. The CCA return inherits the MFJ filing status from the federal worksheet, so I must override the CCA local return's filing status to single.  This override has the unexpected side effect of (incorrectly) reducing the federal charitable deduction limit from the $600 MFJ limit to the $300 single limit. Notably the override does not seem to affect any of the other values controlled by the federal filing status.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

overriding the filing status in Ohio CCA local return incorrectly reduces the federal charitible deduction limit

Huh?

Are you saying changing filing status affects your charity deduction on your CCA or on your Federal return? 

There is no charity deduction on a CCA form.

Even though you only need to report Schedule E income, on CCA, you can still use MFJ status. Just enter the Schedule E income. 

If you have something "tricky", you may want to do the CCA form by hand or at the CCA site, rather than in TT.

qncwglml
Returning Member

I said that overriding the filing status in Ohio CCA local return incorrectly reduces the federal charitable deduction limit from $600 to $300.

qncwglml
Returning Member

And please note that all the tricky stuff (like schedules C, E, F) is not supported for eFile at the CCA site https://efile.ccatax.ci.cleveland.oh.us/  Of course I can do the CCA form with a pencil, but I still find TurboTax more convenient to generate the paper form for me, just not reliable in this one instance.

Individual Taxpayers filing an annual return must submit a paper return if they have any of the following:

• Business (Schedules C or F)
  • Rental or K-1 activity (Schedule E)
  • Overpayment (Refund or Credit)
  • W2 from one employer listing multiple cities
  • 1099-MISC from one business with income earned in multiple cities
  • Residence Tax Withheld by the Employer
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies