Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ryan2022
Returning Member

Out of state filing - Michigan Employer and Texas Resident

Hello,

My employer is in Michigan and for the entire 2021, I was a Texas resident and worked remotely from Texas for the entire 2021. I did not travel to Michigan at all for 2021.

Now In Texas, there is no need to file, I get it.

For the Michigan filing, Do I need to show 100% (or the entire year)  wages? OR Do I need to declare earnings of 0 so I can get a full refund for the taxes my employer withheld? since neither I live nor worked in Michigan.

As per the below link, here instead of Texas, it's Vermont. From this answer, I need to file for Vermont, which is in my case, I need to only file for Texas but since Texas has no Income tax file so I do NOT need to file.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/do-i-need-to-file-a-nonresident-return-for-an-out...

Thanks a log to the Turbo community

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

Michigan does not tax non-resident remote income.

File a non-resident MI return on which you allocate zero income to Michigan, in order to obtain a refund of incorrectly withheld MI taxes.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Ryan2022
Returning Member

Thanks so much, Tom for your prompt reply.

Further, I found this from the Michigan website on the instructions on the Nonresident's income.

https://www.michigan.gov/-/media/Project/Websites/taxes/Forms/2020/2020-IIT-Forms/Schedule_NR.pdf?re...

On the 2nd page 1st paragraph, It says "Nonresidents and part-year residents must pay income tax to Michigan on all income in Michigan or attributable to Michigan."

The above statement does not say anything about remote work etc, so little confused with "must".

So with my case, since it's completely remote work can I assume this is NOT appliable to me, could you please clarify once more?

Thanks again.

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Correct, that does not apply to you.

The general rule for state income tax is that you will be liable for state income tax based on where you are when you perform the work or when the income is earned.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies