Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mwviola98

Our income was higher for 2018 due to a one time stock pay out. The employer took out the taxes so why do we owe? Is there something I should be doing on the return?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Our income was higher for 2018 due to a one time stock pay out. The employer took out the taxes so why do we owe? Is there something I should be doing on the return?

They didn't take out enough. And any increase in income can boost you into a higher tax bracket, and/or lower some deductions/credits.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

They didn't take out enough. And any increase in income can boost you into a higher tax bracket, and/or lower some deductions/credits.

Ashby

The one time payment put more of your income into a higher tax bracket most likely. If your employer withheld 20%, but that income was being taxed at a 24% or 32% rate, then you are at a deficit. You could also have some credits phased out with a higher income.

Also, the W-4 withholding amounts were revised a year ago because of lower taxes resulting from tax reform. If you were close to owing money in the past, you may want to lower your exemptions on your W-4. In my opinion, there was a bit of an overcorrection to the withholding amounts.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies