Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jomo-66

On Schedule A line 5 we are able to claim state of IL income taxes that were paid. We can't find that deduction on Turbo Tax.

We live in IL.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

On Schedule A line 5 we are able to claim state of IL income taxes that were paid. We can't find that deduction on Turbo Tax.

Yes, you may claim this deduction if you itemize.  If you entered the Illinois taxes withheld from your W-2, the program will carry these over to the proper place on Schedule A.  To find where the information is located:

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online, click take me to my return, then pick up where I left off.
  2. Click on Federal Taxes, Deduction and Credits, and look for the tab next to "Other Income Taxes Paid"
  3. The next screen says:  About Other Income Taxes

On that screen there is a hyperlink that asks where your taxes came from.  When you click on that link, you will see that your Illinois taxes paid on your W2 will be included on that screen.  In addition, if you paid more federal, state, or local taxes, you may click "yes" at the bottom of the screen, and the next screen has the options for you to enter these in.  This way you will get the full credit for your income taxes paid in 2016 for anywhere that it applies.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Yes, you may claim this deduction if you itemize.  If you entered the Illinois taxes withheld from your W-2, the program will carry these over to the proper place on Schedule A.  To find where the information is located:

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online, click take me to my return, then pick up where I left off.
  2. Click on Federal Taxes, Deduction and Credits, and look for the tab next to "Other Income Taxes Paid"
  3. The next screen says:  About Other Income Taxes

On that screen there is a hyperlink that asks where your taxes came from.  When you click on that link, you will see that your Illinois taxes paid on your W2 will be included on that screen.  In addition, if you paid more federal, state, or local taxes, you may click "yes" at the bottom of the screen, and the next screen has the options for you to enter these in.  This way you will get the full credit for your income taxes paid in 2016 for anywhere that it applies.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies