Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I started a small business with a direct sales company last year 2018 and just learned my tax ID number that I had expired from no use over 5 years, what do I do?

To clarify a bit more. I made over $500 got a 1099 and did claim sales tax on things. Was told my tax ID should still be good only to find out that it indeed expired and I obviously need to file my taxes asap. So my questions are...do I need one for sure or can I file without one? Can I apply for one today and use it right away? Will it count for last years income earned? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

If I started a small business with a direct sales company last year 2018 and just learned my tax ID number that I had expired from no use over 5 years, what do I do?

It is not important if your EIN has expired. In TurboTax, you should say that your business has no EIN. On your tax return, you can list the income and expenses of the business you started in 2018 under your SSN.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Ok thank you.
MinhT
Expert Alumni

You're welcome.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies