Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CincyUser

Ohio Medical Expenses Worksheet

Ohio gives different levels of credit for medical and health insurance expenses when you have subsidized (medicare or employer based ) versus unsubsidized (marketplace or private) insurance. TT fails to follow the state worksheet and fails to collect information about BOTH costs if you had a year where you had a mix of the two types of insurance coverage. Sadly, this appears to be a problem that TT has not fixed since 2020 based on an earlier forum entry, BUT I am hoping to hear how a work-around can be done. HELP! Any good ideas?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
CincyUser

Ohio Medical Expenses Worksheet

Okay, this is fun: I discovered the answer to my own question! TT usually runs in step-by-step mode (Question prompts that you answer), and that is where the problem is: you can't reset it to get to the right step again. The solution is to do your best to finish up your Federal and State taxes outside of the problematic areas, then select the menu option "View" and go into "Forms", where it lets you make entries into each of the forms on your state and federal returns. You can directly access the Ohio Medical Expenses Worksheet and enter what you need to . You can also return to the federal medical expenses area and enter new costs (this was also an area that "locked" after my first inaccurate entries...).

NOTE: TT will send some of that federal medical expense info into the Ohio forms, but it does NOT parse the different categories of eligible expenses accurately for the Ohio regulations. Fortunately you can enter the Ohio values independently for most categories.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies