Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NYS Real Property Tax Relief Credit

If I haven't applied for the STAR credit; can I still receive the NYS Real Property Tax Relief Credit? I am confused by the following requirement: "or that qualified you for the STAR credit,".  I do qualify for it but have failed to apply for it. Which I will do as soon as I'm done filing my taxes!  

Thank you for your assistance. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

If you haven't received a STAR credit or exemption, you can't claim the Real Property Tax Relief Credit.

To receive a STAR exemption, you must have received it in 2015. If you weren't receiving the STAR exemption on your property in 2015, you aren't eligible to receive it now.

If don't have a STAR exemption, then, if you otherwise qualify for the credit (see requirements below), you would need to have received a STAR credit in 2023.

You'd probably know if you were getting the STAR credit, since you need to register to qualify.  See Register for the Basic and Enhanced STAR credits

To see if you received a STAR credit, you can look up property tax credits previously paid to you on the Department of Taxation and Finance's Property Tax Credit Lookup tool.

According to the Instructions for Form IT-229, Real Property Tax Relief Credit, to be eligible for this credit, you must meet all the following requirements:

• you are a New York State taxpayer who, for the purposes of this credit, is required to file a return under Tax Law Article 22;
  • you were a New York State resident for all of the tax year;
  • you owned real property that:
    • was your primary residence for six months or more of the tax year, and
    • received the STAR benefit as either an exemption or a credit; 
  • any rent you received from nonresidential use of your residence was 20% (0.2) or less of the total rental income you received;
  • you paid the real property taxes on the property fully or partially; and
  • your qualified gross income was $250,000 or less.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

If you haven't received a STAR credit or exemption, you can't claim the Real Property Tax Relief Credit.

To receive a STAR exemption, you must have received it in 2015. If you weren't receiving the STAR exemption on your property in 2015, you aren't eligible to receive it now.

If don't have a STAR exemption, then, if you otherwise qualify for the credit (see requirements below), you would need to have received a STAR credit in 2023.

You'd probably know if you were getting the STAR credit, since you need to register to qualify.  See Register for the Basic and Enhanced STAR credits

To see if you received a STAR credit, you can look up property tax credits previously paid to you on the Department of Taxation and Finance's Property Tax Credit Lookup tool.

According to the Instructions for Form IT-229, Real Property Tax Relief Credit, to be eligible for this credit, you must meet all the following requirements:

• you are a New York State taxpayer who, for the purposes of this credit, is required to file a return under Tax Law Article 22;
  • you were a New York State resident for all of the tax year;
  • you owned real property that:
    • was your primary residence for six months or more of the tax year, and
    • received the STAR benefit as either an exemption or a credit; 
  • any rent you received from nonresidential use of your residence was 20% (0.2) or less of the total rental income you received;
  • you paid the real property taxes on the property fully or partially; and
  • your qualified gross income was $250,000 or less.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies